Tuesday 22 November 2011

From Titi to Maryam!

It all started on November 20, 1979, the year of the Ram. I was born at Jacobi Hospital, now Bronx Municipal, in the Bronx at around 10:00 pm. I was always a happpy baby, so I was told. But even more so I was terribly mischeivous. Here's a story for you: My mother had to tie my foot to the bed so I wouldn't get away and cause any trouble while she was asleep.
Well, one day I got smart and untied the rope and got to the medicine cabinet. I took out the Rolaids and started to eat them. I went back into the room where my mother was and she woke up to the sound of me chomping. She woke up at a start and asked me what I was eating. I said "cation" (because I couldnt' say the word medication yet. She went hysterical. She looked at the pack of Rolaids and counted how many I had eaten. When she saw that there was no need for her to panic, she wooped my behind and I never did it again.

I went on through my life, always teased at school because I was diagnosed with scoliosis, meaning that my spine was as crooked as a politician. I had to wear a back brace for 6 years. It was so humiliating when someone felt it under my clothes. I was constantly called a robot, for it was made of hard plastic. By the time I reached into the 6th grade, they discovered that my spine had only gotten worse, and the only way to correct the problem was to surgically fix it. So, on February 14th, 1991, they performed the procedure by placing a rod that would correct the curvage. I hate Valentine's Day now and I have a ugly scar but I don't have to wear the brace anymore :)

In the fall of that year, I attended Riverdale Junior High School in the Bronx. I attended Martin Luther King High School and graduated with a Regents Diploma and with Honors in June of 1997. I attended Oswego State University that fall as a biology major. Big mistake. The program was terrible and I didn't see myself becoming a Med student as I had planned. I wanted to become an Obstetrician but thanks to a terrifying freshman year and a horrible bio department, I was dismissed from school for a semester. I returned home and attended a community college in Manhattan. I did quite well and was accepted back into Oswego, this time as a Human Developmental Psychology major with hopes that I would counsel children in a hospital setting. I have, since then, been highly involved with organizations on campus including: AJH Productions, Gospel Choir (for I was raised Christian), the Caribbean Student Association, Kenpo Jutsu Karate, etc.

There has been a major change in my life. On June 24th 2000, I reverted to Islam. As a word of adivice to all who read this: It will not be easy to revert in a family that has taken you from your birthright (Islam). It is ALL our life's calling for we are all born Muslim, we just need to find our way home.I was extremely frightened to face my parents and feared the worst of what might happen. But Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) has not failed me in showing His flawless Mercy and Grace for they have taken the news in a way that MANY new reverts wish they could have had their family take their new life..

I pray that Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) would continue to bless me for finding The true Path and may I be the humble servant that I know I can be. I know it won't be an easy task but, as the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, "The best jihad [struggle] is (by) the one who strives against his own self for Allah The Mighty, the Majestic." I have found peace in my life for the first time ever and Insha'ALLAH, I will son be sharing my joy with someone, for I have found the other have of my soul who happens to be the same guide who showed me the Right Path. May Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) be pleased with our bond and continue to bless and strengthen us as we walk the Path that He alone has the power to pave before us.

ALL Praise and Glory due to Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) Lord of my life & Keeper of my tomorrow Insha'ALLAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment